Mottoes? Subtitles? Tag lines? Slogans?
I don’t know what they’re called, but some teams have “we rock!” type sayings on top of their websites, as well as in their stadiums, on merchandise, and anywhere else they can think to plaster it.
Up until Spring Training came along, the Giants’ slogan read, “Your Giants.” Now it reads, “It’s Magic Inside.”
I don’t know how often these things change, or whether anyone even pays attention to them when they do, but can I say yuck on the new idea? Now they sound like they play at the Magic Kingdom or were turned into candy bars or something.
Here’s a commercial with the new slogan, invented by the marketing genius that is Swirl:
I liked “Your Giants” better. It sounded more personal to us, like “Hey! We have our very own team! Cool, huh?” It also sorta paralleled or bizarro-fied the evil Dodgers slogan of “This is My Town.” Yours. Mine. See? It goes together.
So who else has tag lines? I tried to Google the answer, but either I can’t effectively search for a complete list because I do not know what to call them, or no one cares about them and hasn’t bothered to make one.
So I’ll make one.
As of right now, at least based off their websites, of the 30 major league teams, 11 have slogans, 5 on the American League and 6 on the National League.
- Chicago White Sox – There Are Traditions. And There Are White Sox Traditions.
- Cleveland Indians – Are You In The Tribe?
- Detroit Tigers – Always A Tiger
- Seattle Mariners – Believe Big
- Atlanta Braves – The Excitement Of Turner Field
- Florida Marlins – Serious Fun. Get On It!
- Los Angeles Dodgers – This Is My Town
- Pittsburgh Pirates – Pride. Passion. Pittsburgh Pirates.
- San Francisco Giants – It’s Magic Inside.
- Washing Nationals – Nats Town: Get Your Red On
So who wins? I don’t know, maybe the Dodgers, doesn’t that suck? I like the Pirates’ and White Sox’ too, though “Sox traditions” make me think of cheating, so maybe that’s not so hot.
It’s Magic Inside. Bleh.